Thursday, February 18, 2010

Wig Maintenance


I got an email from a reader a few days ago asking how I washed and took care of my wigs. So, instead of just responding to her, I decided to write a post about my wig maintenance routine. Since I only wear curly, synthetic wigs, my routine may be different from how others would instruct you to wash a straight, or human hair wig. So, let me preface this by saying this is how I wash MY wigs. I am by no means saying this is how you should wash yours. I am simply sharing my routine. Get it? (I had to put that disclaimer in before someone leaves a comment talking about how I made her mess her wig up! LOL)

Ok...Here Goes:

1. I make sure that my wig is as detangled as possible.
2. I fill my bathroom sink with lukewarm water and squeeze a teaspoon of wig shampoo in the water stream.
3. I take the wig and submerge it in the water and swish it around for a few minutes.
4. I transfer the wig to the shower and rinse the shampoo out with lukewarm water.
**Repeat steps 3& 4 twice**
5. I apply I palm size amount of a cheapie conditioner ( usually V05) to the wig with my hands and distribute evenly. I leave the conditioner on the wig for about 5-10 minutes.
6. I transfer the wig to the shower again, and rinse the conditioner out with lukewarm water.
7. I wrap the wig in a towel, being careful not to disturb the curls. (messing with the curls while the hair is dripping wet may alter the curl pattern.)
8. I place the wig on a flat surface, on top of a towel to dry. (hanging a wet wig up to drip-dry may elongate the curls, and alter the original curl pattern.)
9. After the wig is about 90% dry, I spray it with lightly with distilled water, brush through it with a paddle brush, (or detangle with my fingers), cover wig with a net cap, and lay the wig on a flat surface to dry.

Throughout the week, after I take my wig off at night I repeat step 9, spray with distilled water, detangle, cover with net, lay flat to dry. No special wig sprays, no special products, just distilled water. I find that using actual  "wig maintenance products" on my wigs limits how long they last. Distilled water does the trick for me.

As always, I hope this information was helpful. If you have any questions, just leave me a comment below.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and I am so happy I did! I recently started wearing wigs due to hair loss and love reading about how other people handle their wigs. I'm now a follower!

SouthernBella said...

@Real Life Reslers- Sorry to hear about your hair loss, but I'm glad I could be of some help concerning wigs. I haven't posted a new blog in quite a long time (I've been both busy and lazy! LOL) However, if I can be of any more help, just let me know.

Be Well,
Southern Bella

Unknown said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing this. I had just bought a curly and a long straight vivica fox wigs, for my girlfriend and she haven't use it yet since she don't know how to clean it. I'm just happy to see your blog and share it with her. Thanks for sharing!