Sunday, April 25, 2010

RANT: The Great Penny Debate


These past three weeks I've been noticing a new trend that has really started to tick me off. Cashiers keeping my change. Granted, I'm not talking about quarters or dimes, but still.....since when did the penny stop being considered money??

Twice a week I'm pressed for time and starving, so I find myself sitting in a drive through line grabbing something quick to eat. Every time, I order the same thing. Every time, my total is $4.97. Every time, I pass the cashier (whomever they may be) a $5 bill. Every time, they pass me my receipt WITHOUT my 3 cents in change! (As I type this, I know that I sound like a crazy woman, ranting over 3 cents.....I'm actually debating whether I should even post this rant at all because the more I write, the dumber it sounds........nope......I'm still pissed.....I'm posting it! On with the rant.....)

I know there are far bigger issues for me to take a stand over. I know that my time would be more useful if I channeled it into studying for my finals, or if I reminded my neighbors to fill out their census forms, or if I taught my new puppy how to come when I call his name. However, this penny thing has me pissed.

And this hasn't just happened to me at my favorite burger joint either. It happened at a discount store last Tuesday. My total was $9.98, I passed the cashier a $10 bill, and he passed me my receipt. The End. What the hell??

My friends and family are sick of hearing about me and my stolen pennies. They've all told me to leave it alone and start paying with my debit card to eliminate confusion. They say nobody uses cash anymore, and after all, its just a few pennies, and what am I gonna do with a purse full of pennies anyway? I say, that's not the damn point. My point is, money is money. If we start letting cashiers keep our pennies, what's next? Quarters? Dollars? Letting them write checks to themselves? ( I know....too far.)

So, my few dedicated readers, what should I do? Take a stand, and demand my pennies from now on? Or, should I just shut up and take my receipt....after all, it's just a penny.

9 comments:

Diary of a Hair Obsession said...

Ask for your pennies! If you purchase an item that costs $5.03 and you hand the cashier $5, they'll be quick to let you know that your change is short. If they 'steal' 3cents from 50 customers everyday by the end of the year they would have stolen over $500!!!!
Who the heck are they to decide to keep your pennies without the courtesy of asking you first? Demand your change my friend...it's rightfully yours!

SouthernBella said...

Thanks!

Keeping pennies...what will they think of next?? The more I talk about it, the more people realize that it's been happening to them too.

From now on, I'm speaking up, and asking for my change. I try not to make waves in public, I try to give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough. Thanks for the response!

Be Well :)

Rosh said...

LOL, I'm just reading this! Very funny stuff. I don't play about my money either. I like to pay in exact change, so if everyone pockets the pennies from my purchases when I DO break a bill, I'mma be mad. I tend to be absentminded at the register, so now I'll pay more attention to what I'm handed back after a purchase.

SouthernBella said...

@ Bad}Me{Good:

It's been a while since I wrote this, so as I read it back, I find that I do in fact sound like a crazy person. However...money is money! Good tip about paying with exact change, I think I'll try that in the future.

However, I read something a few days ago that advised people to NEVER pay with change, to instead always break a bill. And with our change we should collect it, and once a month convert it into actual dollars and deposit it into our savings accounts. The article said that by doing this, we could be adding $300 or more a year into our savings accounts. I'm seriously giving this method some thought...

Thanks for the comment, and I'm happy I could make you giggle. I've been ranting about those damn pennies for WEEKS! LOL

Rosh said...

WOW. Now you're making me think about breaking bills from now on and just saving change...decisions, decisions!

SouthernBella said...

@ Bad}Me{Good: I know right? I think I'll try breaking bills and saving change for the next few months, and see how much $$ I collect... if it's worth the effort, I'll try to stick to it.

I'll start tomorrow (May 23rd), and try to stick to it for the next 3 months (August 23rd). If I'm successful I'll blog about it. However, I think the hard part for me is going to be remembering to get cash... I hate going to the ATM's! LOL

Diary of a Hair Obsession said...

Lol, looking back this was a funny post. I still say ask for your pennies.
Btw I nominated you for the Sunshine Award. See my blog for details.

Anonymous said...

Now, in order to save your change and therefore boo coo bucks,you must first make sure the cashier returns the change from the bill!! There's your incentive for asking for the change. Just assume the cashier forgot, and sweetly remind them. You're a southern belle, so you know how to do that well;) In fact, you could probably teach us how to do it nicely.

Waiters generally don't do that, but I"ve run into a few who have, and have asked for the change. They always receive a substantially reduced tip (with an explanation) or none at all if there's any whiff of annoyance or attitude coming from them. Doesn't win friends, but they get the point and will be much more mindful about making assumptions about other folks' money.

C

SouthernBella said...

@C,

Thanks so much for the comment! I am currently in my last semester of business school and I've had zero time or motivation to update my poor blog. I'm gonna take your advice about the change. I remember when I wrote this post... I was beyond ticked off about my pennies! LOL!

Again, thanks for the post C.
Be Well,
Bella