Friday, August 21, 2009

Product Review- Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner




Hello Everyone!!

Let me first say that I was leery about buying/trying out this conditioner because it contains whipped egg white proteins. As some of you may know from my Hairlista Blog my hair is protein sensitive. Too much protein and it takes FOREVER to get my hair back in shape. But I was at Rite Aid yesterday, killing some time before I had to pick my dog, Scooter, up from the groomer(my life is SO glamorous! LOL), so of course I found myself on the hair care aisle, smelling conditioners and reading ingredients. Before I knew it, this conditioner: Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner was in my basket. I reasoned, that since the conditioner only contains 21 ingredients, and the egg white protein is 14th on the list, it couldn't be that bad. My logic was that since ingredients are listed based on the amount of said ingredient in the product, this conditioner only had "a little" protein in it, and therefore it was safe. Ya'll I was REALLY trying to justify using this conditioner, even though it had protein in it, because I'm a sucker for YUMMY smelling conditioners.



Here are some of your FAQ:



*How much was it? $6.99 @ Rite Aid

*How much is in the bottle? 13 oz.


*Girl, what's in it? Water/Aqua , Cetyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium , Cetearyl Alcohol , Cetearyl Glucoside , Glyceryl Stearate , Glycerin , Cyclomethicone , Dimethicone , Jojoba Oil , Panthenol , Silk Amino Complex , Coconut Milk , Egg White Protein , Coconut Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate - Vitamin E , Tetrasodium EDTA , Fragrance , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone



*What does it claim to do?

•"Beauty pure and simple.
•Indulge your senses with this exclusive blend of organic coconut milk to nourish your hair, while ultra whipped egg white proteins add strength and elasticity, along with weightless coconut oils to add hydration and balance.
•Sulfate free.
•Organic coconut milk & oils.
•Why We Love it
◦It's like a trip to the tropics in a bottle.
•Why You Want it
◦The luxuriously creamy, foaming, hydrating formula leaves your hair feeling clean, glowing, softly scented and super soft.
•What's in it For You
◦Organic coconut milk and ultra whipped egg white proteins along with weightless coconut oil to hydrate and nourish your hair as gentle cleansers wash away impurities.
•Not tested on animals.
•Made in USA."



*Where can I find it? Organix products can be found at most drugstores and superstores including: Target, Walmart, CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc.

*Directions from the bottle: "After shampooing, apply Organix Conditioner generously to hair, working through ends. Wait 3-5 minutes. Rinse hair thoroughly."



*My Personal Review:



I am perplexed and confused by this conditioner. Here's how I used it. First I shampooed my hair twice with Joico Moisture Recovery Shampoo. I've been using products this week with cones in them since I've been wearing my hair straight, so I needed the sulfates in the Joico shampoo to make sure that the conditioner would be able to penetrate. Usually I use a sulfate free shampoo. Anyway, after I rinsed the shampoo out, I towel blotted my hair and squeezed a generous amount of the Organix Conditioner in my palm and applied it to my hair in three sections. By the way, the conditioner was VERY thick and I found it hard to apply, so to make it easier I ran my head under the water and applied the conditioner after that. The water helped it distribute easier. I then clipped my hair up, and continued with my shower. After about 6 minutes I grabbed my shower comb, unclipped my hair, and proceeded to detangle. Using the stream from the shower head, I rinsed the conditioner out, and combed my hair. The comb slid through like a breeze!!!! I was in shock!! I was literally standing up in the shower saying, " WOW! This is AMAZING!" like a fool. I got no breakage, and maybe 4 shed hairs. Then, while my hair was still soaking wet, I squeezed a dime size amount of the conditioner into my hands, rubbed them together, and applied it to my hair as a leave-in.

Lastly, I wrapped my hair up in a turbie twist. After about 10 minutes, I took the turbie twist off and felt my hair.......it didn't really feel moisturized or soft. I began questioning whether I should have used it as a leave in, and whether or not I needed to get back in the shower and cowash with my beloved Aussie Moist. I decided to wait to see how my hair felt when it dried. So I set my new blow dryer to low heat, high fan and proceeded rough drying my hair (I didn't use a comb or a brush, I was just trying to get my hair dry.) After my hair was dry I set my blow dryer to the cool setting and made sure all of my hair was cool to the touch. ( I read about doing this somewhere, and it really makes my hair feel softer. Rather than just waiting for my hair to cool on it's own.)

Now here is the confusing part.....my hair feels soft, but stiff. It feels moisturized, but a little dry. I'm at a loss.......I mean, my hair doesn't feel bad per say, just different. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Will I use it again? Yes. My next cowash I won't use any as a leave in, and see what happens. This is interesting......I always have a definite opinion when I write my reviews, but this one leaves me puzzled.....

To Be Continued.........


OK....it's been a week later, and I have given Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner another try. College has started again, so goodbye daily cowashing, and deep conditioning 3 times a week. I just don't have the time anymore. Thursday, after I got home from class, I couldn't wait to shampoo and condition my hair. I felt like I was washing the whole week away. It felt wonderful!! I shampooed twice with Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo, which I love by the way, and cowashed once with the Organix Coconut Conditioner. My hair felt great, but it didn't detangle as smoothly as I wanted, so I dumped two palm fulls of Aussie Moist Conditioner on my hair, and the comb slid right through. Now that my hair has dried, it feels soft, but strong, and is Hella Shiny!! I didn't use any leave in conditioner because I wanted to be able to judge how effective the Organix was on my hair. It turns out the the egg white protein wasn't too much for my hair at all. Now, my results might be marred by topping off the Organix with the Aussie Moist, but since this combo gave me soft fluffy results, this is the combo that I'm sticking with.

*My Final Thoughts:



I like this conditioner a lot. I will definitely be rebuying. I think I will be using it in combination with my Aussie Moist, since I got the best results with this method. I wish that it came in a larger bottle. I'm heavy handed with my cowashing conditioners and at this rate I'll be going through 2 bottles of Organix a month, in ratio to 1 liter of my Aussie Moist a month. I think this calls for a coupon. I'll be searching for a Organix coupon before I buy anymore of it. After all, all of this stuff is getting washed down the drain anyway, so I might as well save a few pennies when I can. :)

-Southern Bella

1 comment:

Hairobsessed said...

Lol @ " WOW! This is AMAZING!" like a fool." I guess this is part of the challenge with protein - it's kind of a love hate relationship.